A Reddit post has gone viral after a user said their boss "didn't want to approve" their vacation, so they "walked out," quitting. The post shared to the subreddit "antiwork," already has 29,800 upvotes.

Redditor u/Environmental-Kiwi93 shared the post on January 18. The post is titled, "My boss didn't want to approve my vacation, so I walked out." The original poster (OP) detailed the situation happened recently, and that they used to work "for a very popular beauty supply in America." They were employed there for two years without any requests as they were mostly a college student.

The OP recounted that five months before they wanted to take a vacation, they told their boss, "Hey, so my parents got me a present to go to Cancun in December, and I'll need these days off." They were supposedly greeted with the following reply: "Don't worry about it, when time comes, I'll leave you off schedule, it seems exciting."

Then a month before the planned vacation, the OP reminded their boss, "and she looked at me and told me, 'I don't know what you're talking about.'" The poster reportedly "lost it," although "silently" in their head.

But it doesn't end there. The OP continued: "Two weeks pass, and I lay out my resignation, and she denies it. Come to find out she's pregnant and was calling off the days I planned leaving. We were short-staffed, but this was said five months before. She put me on a 40-hour week when I was supposed to be gone."

Woman carrying box of belongings
A Reddit post has gone viral after an employee walked out after their boss "didn't want to approve" their planned vacation. Here, a woman carries a box of her belongings leaving a job. SEVENTYFOUR/GETTY

The Redditor left when they "confronted" their boss, who supposedly "brushed" the OP "off like a servant." Once lunchtime rolled around, the OP was getting calls from employees and the district manager to come to work. "No thanks, but good luck," they concluded.

According to the career resource website Zippia, the average paid time off offered in the United States in the private sector equates to 10 days off. This doesn't include paid holidays or sick time. About 55 percent of people in the country don't use all of their PTO either.

Over 2,000 people have commented on the viral Reddit post. Many people mentioned the fact that the poster tried to resign, although they were denied.

"So what's a proper reply to denying a resignation?" someone asked. "Like a full-bellied laugh right, because that s**t's hilarious to me."

One Redditor admitted they "love when a boss tries to say you can't quit, lol. That's like the one thing they don't have authority over."

Others had advice for the OP in the situation. "This is a reminder when you ask for anything get a written response," someone said. "Then they can't deny knowledge of your having asked the question."

Some had sympathy for the poster and their situation. "F**k the man, I'm sorry this happened to you," a Redditor expressed.

Others had comments like, "Good for you," and "Aye, good on you brother."

Another Redditor seemed to approve of the OP walking out. "Sweet," they said. "Now you have plenty of time off."

However, a user doesn't seem to agree with how the OP handled things. "You should have just taken the vacation time," they said. "A lot of employers will back down if you tell them that you are taking this time off whether they like it or not. If they don't, then you can collect unemployment."

While others recounted their own stories in similar situations. "Same thing happened to me," one Redditor said. "I asked for time off six months in advance, and they wouldn't approve it. I didn't last very long at that job."

Another user had their own points, saying, "when I talk about vacation it's a notification that 1. I already paid for it and 2. Taking it off regardless."

Newsweek reached out to u/Environmental-Kiwi93 for comment.